Maryland English Institute (MEI) at the University of Maryland, College Park, seeks full- and part-time faculty members to teach academic-focused ESL courses beginning Fall 2017.
- UMEI 005 is primarily for high-proficiency undergraduate and graduate students whose TOEFL scores are in the 84-99 range. The course covers reading, writing, listening and speaking for academic purposes, plus TOEFL test preparation. It meets four days/week for 2 hours/class for 8 total contact hours per week.
- UMEI 007 is an academic writing class for graduate students. The class meets two days per week for two hours per class period
- The Intensive English Program has combined Reading/Writing/Grammar courses for 15 contact hours per week and Listening/Speaking courses for 8 contact hours per week. Courses are offered for levels ranging from basic to advanced.
PT and FT faculty are expected to hold weekly office hours. FT instructors have additional faculty responsibilities in the Institute. The start date for FT instructors is August 14, 2017.
To apply, please send us the following items by email:
- a letter of application expressing interest in the position and highlighting your relevant experience
- a current CV showing evidence of education, training, and experience
- names and phone numbers of three academic/professional references
- syllabi for similar courses taught
- Master’s degree in TESOL or closely related field
- Minimum of two years’ experience teaching ESL to international students at a college or university
- Experience teaching graduate students
- Experience teaching at a research-oriented university
- Advanced training or degrees beyond a Master’s degree