The mission of Maryland English Institute (MEI) is to provide English language instruction and assessment at the postsecondary level for speakers of other languages who wish to learn English for academic, professional, or personal reasons. MEI fulfills its mission by providing
- courses for matriculated University of Maryland students
- courses for international teaching assistants
- short courses for members of the campus and local community
- custom-designed programs
- evaluation of the English language proficiency of conditionally admitted students
- assessment of oral communication skills of international teaching assistants
- a full-time, multi-level Intensive English Program
MEI offers rigorous courses of study while providing a positive and supportive learning community and promoting cross-cultural understanding.
It is the mission of the Intensive English Program of Maryland English Institute to offer international students high-quality, multi-level academic English language instruction, cultural orientation, and preparation for academic study at universities in the United States. Students who wish to study English for professional or personal reasons are also welcome to enroll.
Revised August 2013