The mission of Maryland English Institute (MEI) is to provide English language instruction and assessment at the postsecondary level for speakers of other languages who wish to learn English for academic, professional, or personal reasons. MEI fulfills its mission by providing
- a full-time, multi-level Intensive English program
- part-time courses for matriculated University of Maryland students
- courses for international teaching assistants
- assessment of oral communication skills of international teaching assistants
- custom-designed programs for UMD constituents and external organizations
MEI offers rigorous courses of study while providing a positive and supportive learning community and promoting cross-cultural understanding.
The mission of the Intensive English Program (IEP) of Maryland English Institute is to offer international students high-quality, multi-level academic English language instruction, cultural orientation, and preparation for academic study at the University of Maryland and other universities in the United States. Students who want to study English for professional or personal reasons are also welcome to enroll.
Revised February 2018